In the realm of performance testing, load testing is one of the most important elements. Many people conflate these two terms together, but actually they are very different in nature. A load test is a type of performance test where many users access the application at the same time. It is done to see whether the system can handle the load without compromising its functionality. If you want to invest in the top load testing applications, then you should be well-aware of the best practices that need to be maintained. This will help you to conduct repeatable and realistic tests.
1. Clear the Browser Cache and Cookies Completely:
Before you break out theÂ top load testing applications
, you need to clear the cache and cookies on your browser. If you donâ€™t, your users will be given data from the cache. The test that you conduct is not going to be realistic in that case. The best way to tackle this problem is to use virtualization techniques to ensure maximum accuracy. You will be able to record your tests as well as play them back, which is an advantage that will enable you to perfect the application before you release it.
2. Optimize the Workload According to the Scale of Your Test:Â
It is a very good idea to make sure that the workload for your test is optimized. There is no need to subject your system to a very heavy duty test without a reason. In fact, most experts say that there isÂ no reason to stress the system
any more than it actually required. Even though you should test for a higher load than expected to stay on the safe side of things, make sure that itâ€™s within an acceptable range. This is in fact a performance testing basic.
3. Optimize Your Load Generator to Run a Perfect Test: When you get mobile app testing services, you need to make sure that the load generators are optimized and ready. There are many ways in which you can take care of this task. First things first, you should weed out and remove any software that isnâ€™t required from your systems. Secondly, itâ€™s a good idea to confirm that the load generating software has access to the right amount of bandwidth. Thirdly, itâ€™s also important to verify connectivity between all of the different load generators that are part of your test.
4. Avoid Running Load Tests in Real Environments:Â
Virtualization is a very important tool for any performance testing environment. It isnâ€™t a good idea to run load tests in a real environment. Real environments can have many different kinds of network traffic. While youÂ get mobile app testing services
, it is very important to have a pristine testing environment ready. There is also a risk of excess data transfer in this case. To avoid this problem, the best practice is to implement a test environment that can provide your system with an accurate facsimile of the real world infrastructure system.
5. Make Sure That Your System Has Think Time:
Apart from all of these practices, most load testing experts also recommend giving the systems and the load generatorsÂ a good window of â€œthink timeâ€
. The think time is a period that your system infrastructure can use to simulate a real-life environment with ease. If you donâ€™t want to put abnormal amounts of load on your servers, then you should provide your systems with an acceptable amount of think time also.
These were the 5 best practices that you should resort to while conducting performance and load tests. These will allow you to conduct tests that are reliable, realistic and repeatable.